General Flame Retardant Classes
1. Gas Phase Flame Retardants (ex. Halogen, Phosphorus)
- Reduce heat in gas phase from combustion by scavenging reactive free radicals, thus inhibiting combustion.
2. Endothermic Flame Retardants (ex. Metal Hydroxides, Carbonates)
- Function in Gas Phase and Condensed Phase by releasing nonflammable gases (H2O, CO2) which dilutes the fuel and cools the polymer.
3. Char Forming Flame Retardants (ex. Intumescents, Nanocomposites)
- Operates in Condensed Phase by preventing fuel release and providing thermal insulation for underlying polymer.
Novista Group supplies halogen-free flame retardant for PP, PE, PA6/PA66.